How to Get Custody of Your Children In Texas

How to Obtain Child Custody in Texas

Getting divorced or are separating fromIf you are getting divorced or are separating from your partner, one of the issues you may have to face is who will get custody of your child(ren). Although it may seem complicated at first, the process for deciding child custody in Texas is pretty straightforward.

Decide What Custody Arrangement You Want:

Child agreementThe first step is to decide what type of custody arrangement you would prefer. For purposes of child custody, Texas law refers to parents as either a Joint Managing Conservator (JMC) or a Sole Managing Conservator (SMC).

A JMC custody arrangement means that both parents have the rights and responsibilities of parenting the child(ren). In this arrangement, usually one parent will be given primary physical custody but it is also possible for the parents to share physical custody equally.

In an SMC custody arrangement, only one parent is given the rights and responsibilities of parenting the child(ren). That parent is also given sole physical custody of the child(ren).

In Texas, there is a predisposition towards awarding JMCs. SMCs can be difficult to obtain but are appropriate where the other parent is either incapable of or unwilling to take care of the child(ren). An SMC is also appropriate if there are issues of abuse or criminal activity.

Custody arrangement You should also consider what type of visitation rights you would prefer
that the other parent has. Texas law refers to visitation as "possession and access". Parents can agree to any "possession and access" schedule they like so long as it is in the best interest of the child(ren). If the parents are unable to agree on a schedule, the court will generally order the standard possession and access schedule established by law.

Try to Negotiate a Settlement:

Once you have decided which custody arrangement is appropriate and on a proposed visitation schedule, try to negotiate with the other parent to come to a mutual agreement on these issues. If you can reach an agreement, it is a relatively simple matter to submit that agreement to the court for approval.

Go to Court:

Obtain a custody court orderIf you are unable to reach an agreement, you will have to file paperwork asking the court to decide the child custody issues. If the paternity of the child(ren) involved has not yet been legally determined, you will have to file a paternity case to establish paternity and obtain a custody order.

But if there are no paternity issues involved in the case, you should file a "Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship" (SAPCR) to ask the court for a child custody order. Once a SAPCR case has been filed, the other parent will have an opportunity to respond, and then a hearing will be scheduled. The court may also wish to talk with the (child(ren) involved.

Make sure that you carefully read all papers provided by the other parent or their attorney and attend all scheduled court hearings. The court will review all the facts of the case and will issue a child custody order that is based on the best interests of the child(ren).

America Family Law Center LogoAll of the rules governing child custody cases in Texas are in Title 5 of the Texas Family Code. If you are going to seek child custody in Texas and feel that you need legal assistance in doing so, you can obtain help from the American Family Law Center.

English | Español

English | Español

Courtroom Assistance Program
can be contacted by
phone or text at 713-239-5700
Can you hug your child today? We can help!